Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Letter to Brandon

... Yes, enlightenment is imminent! Summer at the Ashram rejuvenated my joy d'vivre and curiosity about life. Feeling wild and free and happy to be taking part in New York, but with less needs and desires now for NY to fulfill me-- happy to be here for the day to day, accepting the amount of a day as perfect and not craving MORE. Because that's how city became a demon, roaring and overwhelming. Now I feel I am riding the demon happily; grabbed on to a spike of its spine, near the tail, simply enjoying the ride. If I meet someone fabulous then fabulous; if I am bored then I am bored and I would be so anywhere else, so no use trying to change it. I think 'boredom', our modern word for 'space', is natural and necessary. By re-defining it outside the boredom/stimulation binary, seeing that life is a steady current of experiences and transitions, there is a subtle shift.

The idea that enlightenment is a summit to be striven for is an introductory symbol. Really we are always in Nirvana, there is no mountain top to reach up to with effort, but practice to release the thinking and conditioning that clouds us over. By simply enjoying life, pretending we are enlightened, practicing the posture of enlightenment, we reattune ourselves with our basic goodness. The posture of enlightenment is just sitting-- or for Jesus, hanging(!), and enjoying! How do you say "Enjoy" in french? Like when we serve a meal and say "Enjoy" in the same tone as we say "Bon Appetite".. "Enjoying" --That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment