Sunday, August 16, 2009

NYC Stranger

First I saw him walking under the hard shade of scaffolding on a hot day in Chelsea. He walked upright with a current of energy; like he was floating on the wake of the one way traffic down 19th street.
An honorary tribesman arrived in New York after some wrinkle in time unfolded and magically materialized him here and now in Manhattan. Crocodile Dundee, Coming to America, the type of guy that stands out and makes the city look out of place, like he was here first.
He has a doll face, with intelligent eyes, the kind that aren't just organs, they are well experienced tools of multiple perceptions. In Lehman's terms: he owned the street with the twinkle in his eyes.

He was shirtless, which drew me to him even before his face. His light and floating torso was a copper shield against the city and a welcome banner. His hair was parted and tied back in a long, shiny tail. He walked with purpose but did he have a destination? His mission was more like a parade-- he was simply spreading the news about himself.
But even before seeing all this, I had the sense that a badass loomed. He perspired a hormonal message through the streets to take heed, the King was near.

The arm action in his powerwalk showed off two gaping scars on his elbows. The upraised fault lines of puffy, soft flesh on each elbow were so exact they looked intentional. Who was he?: a mutant? an apparition? a shaman? an actor? He looked familiar to me, he atleast has family in New Mexico if not a native himself: the type of guy who walks down the road in black sunglasses not because he can't afford a car but because spirit told him to. I perked up once I saw him, I offered a nod as we passed each other: "Thanks for Being".

The second time I saw him he was walking in Williamsburg, why in heavens brought him to Williamsburg? Still shirtless-- who is he?

The third time I saw him, two monthes later, he was running across the street as the red don't walk hand flashed and then asserted a full STOP. He jogged past me and I felt a gasp of his energy in me. What a stranger- have you seen him? I hope to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment